Wednesday 12 November 2014

Critical Reflection


Exchanging of feedbacks with my peers and receiving the feedbacks from my tutor had been invaluable as I progressed on this English course. It allowed me to discover my strengths and weaknesses in my writing as well as to refine my writing skills along the way.

When we were told to give feedback to our peers on their blogposts, I was hesitant initially as I felt that I was incompetent to comment on others’ writing due to my poor command in English. In regard to this, I had to constantly seek help from the course units posted on the ‘ivle’ to deepen my knowledge before giving any meaningful feedbacks to my peers. Through this process, I was also prompted to refer back to my own work and assess whether I had actually acted upon the advice that I had given to my peers. In addition, it allowed me to appreciate the knowledge and experiences of my peers and view their ideas from a very different viewpoint as I was reading their writings.

The feedbacks given by my peers were invaluable and arrived at critical points in my inquiry. I was uncertain at times whether my works were relevant or indeed demonstrated that I had acquired the writing skills taught in class. It was the comments I received from my peers that affirmed me that I was proceeding on the right track. I truly valued the advices given by my peers as they had hinted me to reflect on my work and make necessary amendments or to explore new ideas that could be value-added in my work. Though there are times where the inputs from my peers seemed to be inaccurate, I appreciated their efforts to respond on my work; the overall inputs that I received were generally constructive.

The feedbacks that I received from the tutor were undoubtedly informative and meaningful, be it positive or negative. Taking the recent oral presentation as an example, the positive comments left by my tutor on my blogpost were very encouraging and assured me that all my hard work had been paid off, and the negative comments such as my poor pronunciation were valuable as it enlightened me the areas that I need to improve on. Without the constructive feedbacks given by my tutor, my English writing skills would have remained as terrible as in the past.

In a blink of an eye, this 13-weeks English course has come to an end. It was an invaluable and enjoyable journey and I have learnt a lot through frequent interaction and feedback among peers. I hope I can remember some of the rewarding feedbacks and advises given by my peers and tutor and take them along with me as I embark on my working life in the near future.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kaiyao!

    I'm really impressed by the efforts you took to improve your command of English! (Y) Like the saying goes, practice makes perfect! So I strongly believe you will make it one day :) Don't give up and wish you all the best ^_^

    I am also glad that the feedbacks were helpful just like how they were helpful to me too. So I am here to give you one! ^_^ (A encouraging one i guess .. haha) Anyway, I feel that you are improving (after reading your essays from time to time) and its definitely a good sign. I know that its not easy as I am working on it myself too .. so let's work and improve together! (Although the module is over, but I hope learning does not just end here for you!)

    Wish you all the best in your University stint and I will see you around in school ~

    Regards,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie,

      Honestly speaking, I do find myself making a tremendous improvement in my English writing skills. All have to thanks to this module, especially Brad.

      Thanks for your compliment and well wishes. All the best in your future endeavours. God Bless!

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much, KaiYao, for this well organized and insightful critical reflection. You do a very good job of reviewing the feedback component of our course and the way that both giving and receiving feedback has impacted your refining your writing and enhanced your English in general. I really like the flow of this reflection. And I'm glad you found great benefit in both the feedback process and the course.

    I have also clearly seen much improvement in your writing over the term, KaiYao. I wish you all the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      I'm really grateful for your help over this semester. I truly appreciated all the tasks that you had done to help us improve on our writing skills and presentation skills, as well as to designing the class in a fun and interesting way for us to learn.

      My English writing skills have indeed improved a lot under your excellent coaching and guidance. I hereby thanks you from bottom of my heart. Nah...I'm not trying to make any flattery here; I'm just stating my true feeling.

      Oh by the way, if you do see this reply, perhaps you might want to enlighten me regarding the followings:
      Why I could listen clearly to what you said but not other Americans that I heard on TV?
      You don't speak with the accent, don't you? How come?

      I wish you well in whatever you do. May God Bless You!

      Delete