Wednesday 10 September 2014

An Event That Has Shaped My Life


I have a list of pet peeves and dog was one of them. A thing that dogs irked me the most was the time when they were licking my legs and trying to hump me. I also could not tolerate of their noisy barks and strange odor. Moreover, I found it a nuisance when I saw dog owners treating their dogs like their children. I would always give dogs a threatening look, without the owners’ conscious, whenever they strolled past me. However, my feelings toward dog had changed after I served in National Service (NS).

Having been through months of basic trainings and courses in NS, I was subsequently posted to Military Working Dog Unit. I was dumbfound upon knowing that I would be working with guard dogs. I felt so unlucky that I would have to work with creatures that I had been hating, and I also worried of being bitten by them. Prior to our posting confirmation, we were given the chance to drop out. However, after much considerations, I decided to stay partly because I could not bear to leave my group of buddies.

I initially felt uneasy standing close with the dogs and tried to stop them from licking me. After spending so much time with the dogs, I gradually overcame my fear and annoyance feelings toward dogs. Subsequently, I was assigned with a Belgium Shepard named Tikka, and I spent most of the rest of my NS life with her. I fed her, groom her, bathed her, played with her, prowled with her, and trained with her. There were occasions that she made me feel mad, amused, disappointed, and worried. There were times when I had to appease her, calm her, stroke her, and delight her. It had been a great pleasure for me to know Tikka and other dogs and be with them during that period.

At present, dog is no longer my pet peeve. My negative impression and attitude for dogs have completely changed after I bonded with the dogs during NS. I am now a dog lover. I find them cute, loving and sweet, and I wish to keep them as a pet or rather a companion very soon.

4 comments:

  1. This is an amusing post, Kai Yao. You do a fine job of describing how your view of dogs -- that pet peeve -- changed through the NS experience.

    I'm curious though: What were the dogs being trained for?

    Thanks for your effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      Thanks for spending your precious time on reading my posts.

      Guard dogs, mainly the German Shepherd and Belgian Shepherd breeds, are generally trained for deterrence. They are deployed at various protected areas and naval bases to enhance the overall security. As they are highly alert during silent hours, they are usually deployed at night to assist prowlers in detecting any intruder or unusual. They are trained on obedience performance with the use of various commands, and attack work through baiting and scenario practice.

      Hope I have enlightened your curious mind about guard dogs. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kaiyao!!

    YOUR JOBS SOUND SO FUN!! Dogs are really cute and a man's best friend. I'm a dog lover myself and I probably will love your NS job!! Hope this event changed your perspective of dogs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Albert,

      My perspective of dogs has changed indeed! I have now fond in love with dogs and other cute animals.

      Kind to share with me your NS job?

      Delete